Thursday, September 4, 2008

We made it!

Gustav was nasty. I've been through a few hurricanes, but I've never seen anything as bad as that. We were very lucky though. There were lots of trees down everywhere, but our one tree is still standing. Almost every house around us lost shingles and even some tar paper, but our roof looks unscathed (from what we can tell from the ground). We did lose power for 58 hours though. We crammed as much stuff from our refrigerator and freezer that we could fit into my mom's freezer, but the rest of it was lost. And it got very hot and humid in here. I also lost some of my precious scrapbook paper. You know how paper looks wavy after you spill water on it? Well, the high humidity in the house caused my paper to get wavy like that. :-(
Our internet and cable just came up a few minutes ago, so of course, I had to jump right on the computer.
I actually ventured to one of the few grocery stores that is open today. The parking lot was full, the shelves were pretty bare, and the check out lines were long, but at least I was able to replace a few essential things that we lost out of the refrigerator.
I have some pictures and even some video from the storm, but that will have to wait til later to be uploaded.
Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and prayers, it is greatly appreciated!!

10 comments:

CKMommy said...

Karen, I'm so glad you and your family are okay.

It's amazing that you didn't even lose a shingle!

HUGS Becki

Suzanne said...

oh wow girl. I'm glad that y'all didn't get any damage. I had been trying to call the last couple of days to ck how things went, but of course the circuits were busy and I couldn't get through. God has blessed us with this one yet again. Sorry about the sbing stuff...now you have an excuse to shop! Let me know if you need anything...hugs!

joybear said...

Glad you are safe and the tree too! Amazing your roof made it too! Sorry about the paper..it should have a cool texture ot it...maybe you could use it to make paper piecings or curl it to make one of those Christmas trees...have you seen those?

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!! So glad you made it safe and sound. Sorry about the refrig. goodies. (Next time just keep beer in the frige, lol!!!)
Its a shame about the scbking paper. Oh man, Any chance you can iron it? (lol)
Hope things get back to normal soon.

Mer said...

Yay Karen! I'm glad you're all right and your house looks undamaged. Hugs to you girlie! Hopefully we can get started on the DT stuff soon. :D

Anonymous said...

Karen, I'm so glad you are o.k. May God continue to bless you and your family.

Andrea Amu said...

Yikes! What a mess those hurricanes are! Glad that you all are okay...aside from the scrap-paper,that is!

Mer said...

Oh...and uh...a VERY belated congrats on the DT....I thought I'd hit all the blogs but I missed a bunch! *red face*

some kind of wonderful said...

so glad you are ok and the storm is behind you now! glow sticks baby!:)

Stampin' Meg said...

I am so glad that you made it through ok- what ever happened to that pork roast!?